Kyoto University is actively engaged in building global collaborative networks and promoting the advancement of world-class research and education. These activities are being supported by the establishment of three representative offices in Asia and Europe.
Kyoto University has been involved in wide-ranging research and educational activities in the ASEAN region for many years. The Kyoto University ASEAN Center opened in June 2014 to support research, education, and international collaborations in the region.
By effectively integrating existing research and educational activities and networks in the ASEAN region, as well as by expanding collaborative activities with ASEAN universities and research institutions, the Kyoto University ASEAN Center aims to accelerate the promotion of research, education, and international collaborations that lead to the demonstration and development of potential in the region.
Located in Bangkok, Thailand, the ASEAN Center acts as a vital hub to cover the entire ASEAN region, and will collaborate with the Bangkok Liaison Office of Kyoto University’s Center for Southeast Asian Studies, in addition to other relevant institutions. Managed y the Head of the Center, a University Research Administrator (URA), and administrative staff, the ASEAN Center also works in close cooperation with Kyoto University’s International Strategy Office.
1. Supporting research activities in the ASEAN region (Research)
– Collecting and sharing scientific data and technical information
– Promoting collaborative research with ASEAN universities
– Supporting Kyoto University’s various research activities in the region
2. Supporting educational activities in the ASEAN region (Education)
– Promoting collaborative educational projects with ASEAN universities
– Providing consultation to prospective ASEAN students
– Participating in the Japan Education Fair
– Providing guidance about the application process and overseas
3. Promoting internationalization: Students, faculty and staff (Internationalization)
– Promoting overseas internships
– Organizing capacity-building programs
4. Strengthening Kyoto University’s global network (Network)
– Promoting programs for international collaboration
– Creating a network comprising 28 offices and centers in the region
– Strengthening networks and partnerships with ASEAN universities
– Promoting collaboration with industry and government
– Enhancing alumni associations oversea