Guided by the spirit of self-reliance and self-respect since its foundation in 1897, Kyoto University has established a strong tradition of academic freedom and played a leading role in the cultivation of future leaders and the creation of knowledge through outstanding research.
Kyoto University is located in Kyoto, an ancient city and the cultural heart of Japan that has embraced diversity through generations and has produced new forms of values. The University connects to the world through vibrant networks founded on multicultural understanding, while pursuing harmonious coexistence within the human and ecological communities.
The world continues to face unprecedented challenges, and further internationalization is essential in order for Kyoto University to enhance its contributions to the global community through academic development. As a world-leading institution, the University fosters dynamic advancement of international initiatives in education and research under an increasingly robust administrative support system inspired by high standards of expertise and professionalism.
Faithful to the University’s rich traditions and designed to sustain its role as a prominent global knowledge hub, the Kyoto University Basic Concept for Internationalization presents the visions through which the University aims to contribute to a sustainable future for global society.
VISION: EDUCATION THAT CULTIVATES INTERNATIONAL OUTLOOKS AND COMPETENCIES
Kyoto University nurtures its students to embrace diversity, equips them with globally-valued knowledge and skills, and encourages them to contribute to the development of global society. The University nourishes independent and creative minds, and offers friendly and inclusive learning environments.
- Provide attractive academic programs and curricula
- Promote international student mobility by developing partnerships with outstanding institutions overseas
- Further develop an inclusive environment with comprehensive student support
VISION: GLOBAL DEVELOPMENT OF INNOVATIVE RESEARCH
To foster pioneering, innovative and unique research, Kyoto University promotes inspiring research environments that embrace diversity and encourage constructive interactions. The University makes effective use of its offices and facilities around the globe and promotes dynamic collaboration across industry, government and academia.
- Promote international mobility of researchers underpinned by partnerships developed strategically
- Make efficient use of research resources and outcomes by building international networks among academia, industry and government
- Develop strategic communications to best present the University’s research activities and outcomes to international stakeholders
- Enhance internationally open and friendly research environments
VISION: CONTRIBUTION TO HARMONIOUS COEXISTENCE ON THE PLANET
Kyoto University contributes to development and well-being around the world, by fostering awareness of global challenges and human rights among all members of its community, acting ethically to underpin mutual understanding and respect.
- Nurture competent and responsible global citizens
- Foster education and research with international scope that contribute to global and local sustainable development and produce meaningful societal impact
- Provide a campus that is inclusive and respectful of social and cultural diversity