The National University Corporation Kyoto University European Center (hereinafter referred to as “the Center”) collects, uses, and discloses personal data in accordance with the applicable laws and regulations.
In this notice, “processing” means any operation or set of operations which is performed on personal data or on sets of personal data, whether or not by automated means, such as collection, recording, organization, structuring, storage, adaptation or alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, alignment or combination, restriction, or erasure or destruction.
1. Details of the Center
Name: National University Corporation Kyoto University European Center
Address: Augustinergasse 2, 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel: (+49) (0) 6221 54 30034
E-mail: info_eu [at] oc.kyoto-u.ac.jp
2. Personal data which is collected by the Center
The Center will collect, use, and disclose personal data for the following purposes:
|Personal data of:||Purpose||Categories of personal data|
|Persons who access the European Center’s SNS accounts||
|Persons affiliated with organizations related to/of interest to the European Center, etc./|
Persons who visit the European Center
|Persons who subscribe to e-mail newsletters.||
|Event participants（symposiums, seminars, study abroad fairs, etc.）||
|Applicants for enrollment/|
prospective international students
3. Legal basis of processing
- The Center processes the personal data described in Item 2 for the purposes described in Item 2 for which you have given your consent. Where the processing is based on your consent, you may withdraw that consent without affecting the legality of any processing based on your consent prior to its withdrawal.
- The Center shall also use your personal data for the purpose of fulfilling its own legitimate interests, such as complying with audits by the National University Corporation Kyoto University, audits by external organizations, and legal obligations required by Japanese law.
4. Data sharing and transfer
Provided you have given your consent, your personal data shall be shared, transferred and re-transferred with the third parties named below for administrative purposes, or to fulfil legal obligations.
- National University Corporation Kyoto University, Japan (Head Office).
- The Ministry of Education Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan, the Board of Audit of Japan, and other Japanese public institutions.
- Access analysis tool providers: Google Analytics. For more information, please refer to Item 5, Cookies.
Furthermore, the Center’s website embeds content from the Center’s Facebook account and videos published on YouTube, and when users view or access such content, third parties may obtain and use the access information, including cookies for analysis, targeting, and advertising purposes. In such cases, the information will be managed in accordance with the policies, etc., set by the company providing the accessed content.*
Cookies & other storage technologies
6. Your rights
You have the following rights in relation to your personal data.
- To access your personal data.
- To request a copy of your data.
- To request a correction of incorrect or incomplete data.
- To request the cessation of the data processing when it is no longer necessary in view of the purpose.
- To object to the data processing on legal grounds.
- To request the Center to erase your personal data.
- To require the Center to restrict its processing of your personal data.
- To receive from the Center, in a reasonable format specified by you, any personal data that you have provided and which it holds (including for the purpose of you providing that personal data to another data controller).
Please note that the above rights are not absolute, and the Center may be entitled to refuse requests where exceptions apply.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, or if you have a complaint about the way in which you believe your data is being processed, please contact the Center at the following e-mail address: info_eu [at] oc.kyoto-u.ac.jp
7. Your right to lodge a complaint with a data protection supervisory authority
You have the right to lodge a complaint with a data protection supervisory authority if you are dissatisfied, or if you believe that the processing of personal data by the Center infringes the applicable laws and regulations.
8. Protection of your personal data
The Center shall implement appropriate safeguards to ensure the confidentiality and security of your personal data.
9. How long is your personal data retained for?
Your personal data shall be retained for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes described above. It shall be retained in accordance with the regulations of National University Corporation Kyoto University and the applicable regulations and laws.
10. Effective date and amendments to this Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice is effective from December 23, 2021. The policies herein shall be amended when necessary, in accordance with the policies of the Center and the applicable regulations and laws.