The National University Corporation Kyoto University European Center (hereinafter referred to as “the Center”) processes personal data in accordance with the applicable laws and regulations, including the General Data Protection Regulation (hereinafter referred to as “GDPR”).
This Privacy Notice provides information about how the Center processes the personal data of visitors to our website.
In this notice, “processing” means any operation or set of operations which is performed on personal data or on sets of personal data, whether or not by automated means, such as collection, recording, organization, structuring, storage, adaptation or alteration, retrieval, consultation, use, disclosure by transmission, dissemination or otherwise making available, alignment or combination, restriction, erasure or destruction.
1. Details of the Center
Name: National University Corporation Kyoto University European Center
Address: Augustinergasse 2, 69117 Heidelberg, Germany
Tel: (+49) (0)6221 54 30034
E-mail: info_eu [at] oc.kyoto-u.ac.jp
Website: https://www.oc.kyoto-u.ac.jp/overseas-centers /eu/en/
2．Purposes for which your personal data will be processed
The Center will process your personal data for the following purposes:
- To operate our website, including to respond to the inquiries, questions, requirements and requests of the website visitors
- Cookies for the purpose of network management, including ensuring security and accessibility, and for analysis purposes to improve the website.
- To comply with regulatory and legal obligations.
3．What personal data is processed?
(1) We may obtain your personal data through the enquiry form on our website.
- Biographical information, such as your name, affiliation, and title.
- Contact details, such as your address, e-mail address, and telephone number.
- Requests, questions, and other communication.
4．Legal basis of processing
The center shall process the personal data described in Item 3 for the purposes described in Item 2 for which you have given your consent.
The center shall only process special categories of personal data, such as dietary requirements for catered events and access requirements, with your explicit consent.
Where the processing is based on your consent, you may withdraw that consent without affecting the legality of any processing based on your consent prior to its withdrawal.
The Center shall also use your personal data for the purpose of fulfilling its own legitimate interests, such as complying with audits by the National University Corporation Kyoto University, audits by external organizations, and legal obligations required by Japanese law.
5．Data sharing and transfer
Provided you have given explicit consent, your personal data shall be shared, transferred and re-transferred with the third parties named below for administrative purposes or to fulfil legal obligations. These third parties are located outside of the European Economic Area.
- National University Corporation Kyoto University, Japan (Head Office).
- The Ministry of Education Culture, Sports, Science and Technology, Japan, the Board of Audit of Japan, and other Japanese public institutions.
- Access analysis tool providers: Google Analytics and Count per Day (WordPress). For more information, please refer to Item 6, Cookies.
You have the following rights in relation to your personal data.
- To access your personal data.
- To obtain a copy of your data on request.
- To require the Center to amend incorrect or incomplete data.
- To require the Center to cease processing your data. For example, when it is no longer necessary to process the data for the intended purposes.
- To object to the processing of your data if the Center is processing the data on the legal grounds of fulfilling its own legitimate interests.
- To require the Center to erase your personal data.
- To require the Center to restrict its processing of your personal data.
- To receive from the Center, in a reasonable format specified by you, any personal data that you have provided and which it holds. (Including for the purpose of you providing that personal data to another data controller.)
Please note that the above rights are not absolute, and the Center may be entitled to refuse requests where exceptions apply.
If you wish to exercise any of these rights, or if you have a complaint about the way in which you believe your data is being processed, please make an inquiry to the Center via the following e-mail address: info_eu [at] oc.kyoto-u.ac.jp
8．Right to lodge a complaint with a data protection supervisory authority
You have the right to lodge a complaint with a data protection supervisory authority if you are dissatisfied, or if you believe that the processing of personal data by the Center infringes the GDPR.
9．How we protect your personal data
The Center shall implement appropriate safeguards to ensure the confidentiality and security of your personal data.
10．How long is your personal data retained for?
Your personal data shall be retained for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes described above. It shall be retained in accordance with the regulations of National University Corporation Kyoto University and the applicable regulations and laws of the EU and Japan.
11． Effective date and amendments to this Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice is effective from September 9, 2019. The notice herein shall be amended when necessary, in accordance with the policies of the Center and the applicable regulations and laws of the EU and Japan.